Learn More About HSO's Solutions
HR software—even the most sophisticated—typically falls short when it comes to managing your workforce to optimize every resource and get the right people on the right projects.
Today more than ever, you must not only fight for good employees, but also find the balance between staffing to get the job done right, forecasting accurately, and keeping costs down.
This requires full visibility into the work that needs to be done and your employees’ schedules, skills, and experience so you can plan accordingly. The problem is that large HR systems don’t have that functionality, and you don’t have time to deal with trying to piece together a solution with spreadsheets and databases.
Key areas of information—recruiting, training, certifications, experience, availability, security roles, and even physical assets—are in silos. You need technology that will facilitate those efforts but that will also work with and pull data from your existing HR system, external recruiting resources, and other systems of record…and you need it yesterday—not in a few months, which is what typical software development would require.
Built with the Microsoft Power Platform, HSO’s People Accelerator is a workforce management platform that bridges the gap between your HR software and what you need to better manage your people. It streamlines the process of managing your human resources while enabling you to ensure their time and talents are being utilized to their maximum potential.
You also gain the capability to handle ad hoc requirements and tasks, making that data automatically available to the enterprise. With insight into your operations and actionable data, you can optimize your workforce based on a variety of attributes, from geographic location and skill set to availability and utilization limits.
A solution everyone can use
Every industry has unique operational needs when it comes to workforce management. HSO’s People Accelerator is fully prepared to take on any requirement, from scheduling medical staff to avoid burnout to tracking and managing training for police academies—plus keeping tabs on important areas like diversity and inclusion.
Likewise, there are multiple parties involved in the scheduling and management of resources and projects, so the People Accelerator provides tools and capabilities for stakeholders at every level, which they can use on any device and from anywhere:
- Job applicants can apply for open positions and manage their applications through an external portal.
- Employees have a self-service HR app, where they can book their own calendars (which can interact with Teams, Outlook, or any other applications you use for calendars or approvals), submit requests for time off , share their attributes and update them directly, and even register for training, saving HR time and effort and ensuring attributes are kept current.
- Managers and supervisors can see everything regarding people and projects they need to find the right person for the right job and address potential conflicts immediately and proactively. They can also apply intelligence to data that will provide critical insights to leadership.
- Facilities managers can manage inventory of real property, including building security and medical readiness.
- Asset managers can maintain inventories of equipment to issue, update, and collect from employees.
- Logisticians can get people, equipment, and supplies where they’re needed, when they’re needed.
- HR managers can hire, onboard, staff , transfer, train, maintain, and off -board personnel.
- Decision makers can confidently make operational and business decisions based on real-time data.
Location and Facilities
Define a data set of locations and facilities to which other functions can be tied. Most large organizations divide the world’s geography in ways that make sense to their mission and operations. The flexibility of the solution allows for location data to conform to the way your users see the world:
- Regions are a continent or custom category, such as Americas, EMEA, or CENTCOM
- Countries are self-explanatory but flexible enough to define “England” or “Puerto Rico” as you need
- Territories allow for logical groupings within countries, say by State, Province, or County
- Localities define jurisdictions, such as towns and cities within a territory
- Locations are specific places, such as a campus, building, or other facility you manage
- Location Types group your data the way you want, for example, to def ne offices, clinics, or warehouses.
- Location data is then tied to other organizational data, which makes it easy to answer questions like: How many people do I have working in this facility where there’s just been a COVID outbreak? Who do we need to evacuate from this location due to a weather event? Are we over or under capacity here, and what’s that misallocation of resources costing us?
Organization and Personnel
Achieve a “single source of truth” for your organizational and personnel data, secure it, and then reuse it in whole or in part across all your applications. Most organizations reuse this data across hundreds or thousands of apps, spreadsheets, and other databases. The Accelerator brings it all together:
- Organizational Units nest within each other to produce hierarchies that drive business logic
- Org Unit Types allow you to determine, for example, who’s at HQ and who’s in the field
- Job Positions tell you what’s filled, what’s vacant, and everything you need about any given role
- Personnel Files create a single, securable source of truth for HR data about an individual
- Assignment History tracks assignments to duty or work experience over time
The accelerator provides specific functionality useful to military, security, and other larger organizations with more hierarchical structures
- Ranks allow individuals to be tied to organization-specific levels of promotion
- Grades facilitate apples to apples comparison across organizations, for example, in establishing equivalency between a Captain in one organization and a Lieutenant in another
- Specialties tie individuals back to the disciplines in which they are trained or focused
Keeping track of an entire workforce is a huge challenge, particularly when its members are moving between assignments, in and out of training, located across the country or around the globe, and—importantly—attending to their own personal, family, and medical needs. The accelerator’s “Personnel Status” capability consolidates data from across the solution into an “all up” availability that enables organizations to:
- Monitor and report on potential employee burnout over time
- Commit only available people to upcoming assignments, and to deconflict when necessary
- Route approvals for various tasking and leave based on organizational hierarchy
Recruiting and Onboarding
Related but separate processes of recruiting and hiring, onboarding, and transitioning new joiners to HR management is often cumbersome. Recruiting Management Systems (RMS) are often not integrated with HR systems, and onboarding is handled via a paper checklist. The Accelerator brings all these pieces together so data input in the system at candidate sourcing follows that candidate through the entire hiring process, then it is seamlessly merged into the new employee’s personnel record:
- Job Positions represent roles to be filled within the organization, sourced directly from HR so that recruiters know they’re filling empty roles that HR is tracking on their end
- Job Postings are specific advertisements to fill specific positions, which are useful given that a job position may have multiple postings over its lifespan as people come and go
- Recruiting Events allow recruiters to tag candidates against events or recruit outreach campaigns, so that over time you can evaluate the efficacy of different hiring forums
- Candidates are named individuals seeking placement in the organization; they may be applying for one or more roles
- Job Applications represent a single application made by a single candidate to a single job posting for a single job position, or they might represent a general “I want to work here” inquiry • Interviews are scheduled between the interviewer and a candidate; feedback and other notes are tracked here for recruiters to use post-interview
- Offers are made to candidates, referenced back to their application and the job posting + position to which they applied
The accelerator allows business rules to be defined, for example:
- Generate a Personnel File and fill a Job Position on acceptance of an offer
- Type of position for which a person is hired triggers a certain onboarding path
- Equipment is ordered or issued, transportation arrangements made, and pre-assignment medical examinations are automatically scheduled when an off er is accepted or a person starts
Competencies and Skills Bank
Competencies, Skills, Certifications, Qualifications. Regardless of what you call them, the Accelerator allows organizations to establish their own competency set, to differentiate between (for example) skills that one might have acquired through experience versus certifications earned through a specific process. This capability helps match the right people to the task in scenarios such as:
- Defining requirements for a job or assignment so the accelerator finds your best matches
- Managing re-certification timelines so that you comply with external requirements
- Quickly identifying skills you didn’t know your people had when emergencies arise
Managing training curricula, scheduling courses, registering students, and tracking student progress can be consuming, as well as Integrating these activities with other personnel management functions. The accelerator lets you manage:
- Disciplines or subjects like “Accounting” or “Criminal Procedure” or your preference
- Courses, or repeatable collections of content taught together, think “Criminal Procedure 101”
- Course Off erings represent a one-time teaching of the course into which students may enroll
- Students, or the enrollment of a single person in a course (to be approved, rejected, or waitlisted) and their status (e.g., pass or fail)
This becomes a powerful app capability from which we’ve seen many scenarios:
- Students or employees take charge of their own course enrollments via an internal catalog
- Thresholds are set for minimum and maximum student enrollment to automate planning
- When mishaps occur, regulated or sensitive organizations such as medical, police, or military can trace which students were enrolled in a course at a certain time—and which version of an always evolving lesson they were taught
Different sectors refer to their ad hoc work groups differently. Private companies often pull employees together into “project teams”. Military, public safety, and even humanitarian organizations run exercises, deployments, missions, and task forces. COVID called for hospitals to constitute special wards and makeshift teams. The Accelerator allows organizations to bring together groups of personnel to accomplish specific tasks or missions:
- Work Groups are created to bring people from throughout the organization together from a start date to an end date so that you know who is doing what, and why
- Work Group Roles represent specific assignments within a Work Group; whatever makes sense in your context like “Project Manager” or “Supply Clerk” or “Lead Instructor”
- Work Group Role Requirements allow you to specify competency, training, and more for each role so the Accelerator can suggest matches based on employee profile and availability
- Work Group Milestones provide a timeline of events or a series of objectives to be accomplished while the Work Group is active
- Work Group Templates allow managers and planners to template typical scenarios or combinations of Work Groups, roles, role requirements, and milestones so you don’t have to create everything from scratch each time
Equipment and Inventory
The “kitbag” is a major cost to control but an essential part of employee success. The Accelerator integrates asset management with employee readiness, which enables tying kit requirements to specifi c job roles so gear can be issued on assignment and collected on departure and inventory levels can be matched to workforce size.
People Accelerator Quick Start
You have workforce challenges that need addressing now...and we can help. Our People Accelerator Quick Start offering lets you select the functionality you want to focus on based on your priorities.
Interested in a solution accelerator for “people” workloads, built on Power Platform?